Symptoms of Quitting Tobacco | Using Electronic Cigarettes

A lot of newbies who are new to vaping are overly concerned about their health as well as the dangers of electronic cigarettes.

Some groups of people who have just jump on-board with vaping have experienced some side effects which they blame on e-cigarette usage, but that is just pointing fingers without knowing the cause.

Signs Your Body Is Changing

Some of the symptoms reported are as follows:

• Mouth ulcers
  • Headaches
  • Nausea or shaking
  • Coughing and increased phlegm production
  • Heartburn or acid reflux
  • Muscle cramps (this is a big one)
  • Excessive sweating
  • Diarrhea
  • Hiccups
  • Bleeding gums

Before you jump the gun, you should know that these are also the same list of symptoms of people who quit tobacco-based cigarettes, it has nothing really to do with electronic cigarettes (or e-cigs). When you quit smoking, many things happen because a lot of different chemicals are exiting your system, and your body is healing. Some people are all too quick to put the blame on e-cigarettes in the beginning and I don’t blame them. After all, they are literally stopping a long-term habit overnight! And that’s a big shock to the system.

Muscle cramps have been reported a lot on the forums and this has a lot to do with dehydration. For some reason, vaping e-liquids causes you to become dehydrated quickly and once this happens, it causes muscle cramps or spasms. When I vape, I continually rehydrate by drinking lots of water – you should be drinking lots even if you don’t use electronic cigarettes.

Another very common symptom is headaches. People who have just stopped smoking and have started to get headaches complain about this a lot in the forums. I’m not a medical professional but I know for a fact that when I don’t drink enough water, I get dehydrated and also get headaches. In fact, I get headaches quite often when smoking tobacco cigarettes!

Another cause of headaches is nicotine overdose. Depending on what you are vaping, certain juices contain a higher concentration of nicotine and since some people are not getting the same sort of throat hit they get with analogue cigarettes, they tend to chain vape, and this can lead to too much nicotine in your system. I have experienced this myself, and as soon as I feel the headaches coming, I give the e-cigs a break. I tend to chain vape all day long though and I know I shouldn’t, but I enjoy it too much. In my opinion, this is no different to smoking analogue cigarettes – smoke too much in one day and you’ll just feel sick, period.

The bad thing about electronic cigarettes is that it’s hard sometimes to know when to stop, especially when you’re enjoying the e-liquid flavor.

Unlike tobacco cigarettes, you know when to stop smoking when the burn hits the filter. It kind of never ends with e-cigs, so you will just need to change your habits a little and be aware of how much or how often you’re actually inhaling.

One thing to do if you do experience these symptoms is to lower your intake of nicotine by dropping its strength down to something much lower. That way you are still giving your body the small doses of nicotine it needs without the withdrawal symptoms.

I personally have not experienced the other symptoms since starting up on e-cigarettes other than the occasional headache and very slight dizziness that come about when I overdo it. I don’t get any phlegm buildup doing e-cigs but I used to get a lot of it when smoking, especially when I wake up in the mornings with thick phlegm in my throat.

When starting up with electronic cigarettes, just remember to give yourself and your body a week to adjust to the changes. Most people have no issues making the change and happily jump from analogues to e-cigs without any noticeable side effects  – I’m one of them. From the day I started vaping, I’ve not thought about having tobacco, not once.

The Good News?

There are just so many cases of people on the forums reporting that their health has started to return to normal. All too often, I see reports such as:

• A better appetite – but not like going cold turkey and binging on food
  • Normalized blood sugar levels
  • Reduced restlessness
  • Better respiration and lung capacity
  • Increased energy, willingness to exercise
  • Better skin, smoother complexion – no zits
  • Taste and sense of smell returning to normal, so food tastes better

On a personal note, I’ve been finding that my smoker’s cough has pretty much disappeared after a few days. I used to cough quite a lot whilst smoking and since taking up e-cigarettes, my throat has cleared up, and my lungs don’t feel heavy anymore. Every breath comes more easily.

10 Responses to “Symptoms of Quitting Tobacco | Using Electronic Cigarettes”

Read below or add a comment...

1. Luck says:

It´s stupid to think that smoking tobacco could be in anyway better than E-cigs, I can say this: E-Cigs saved my life, and I´m willing to save of those non-believers or those who don´t even know about technology saving lives.

• Effin A says:

Totally agree with this statement. While I get the headaches, I’d totally rather have a headache than smell like ass and be working on lung cancer/emphysema which is prevalent in my family history.

2. Lea says:

When I first started vaping I forgot about the hydration part and got chapped lips and a yucky dehydrated feeling. Once I started drinking a large glass of water during and/or after vaping its no longer an issue.
    I did get a nasty cold during wk 2 of no analogs. I don’t know if this is due to quitting smoking or not. I think that’s a common thing to experience when quitting.
    I also seem not to be sleeping as well. Every few nights I wake up every hour or it takes forever to fall asleep. I’ve gone thru this after quitting cold turkey Allen Carr method. But that only lasted a few nights. So since I vape heavily at night I think it may be due to too much nicotine. I vape 18mg and catch myself mindlessly chain vaping at night when Im winding down reading or watching tv at night (this is new to me bc I’d spend a couple hours sitting outside smoking at night and knew I had to stop and get inside and get ready for bed).
    So anyway I just ordered some 5mg juice to vape at night to chill more and hopefully that will solve sleepless nights.

• mech says:

I don’t knows debit that cold of yours but sleeplessness is what I experienced when I first quit tobacco smoking as well. Your body kind of goes into a bit of a shock, without you realizing it. The nicotine from the e-cig keeps your brain happy but I think there’s a lot more going on with your body during this phase. It will pass soon enough.

I also think that the cold you had was just coincidence. I just recovered from a nasty cold myself. It’s going around.

3. Lea says:

But like others have said, the side effects are not an issue what so ever compared to all the negatives you get from smoking analogs.

4. Charlie says:

I have had cold like symptoms for several weeks now. Do not know if it has any thing to do w/e cig. other than that I feel great and I smell great. Plan on going to the doctor for check up want to see changes that he observes, had a complete physical months ago stop ananlogs February.

• mech says:

Hi Charlie. What you are describing sounds normal to me. Most people who quit smoking and migrate to e-cigarettes experience this sort of symptoms, but they only last a few weeks. If it continues for too long, have your doctor check it out. You can always stop using the e-cigs for a while to see if the symptoms disappear.

5. Ginger says:

I’ve been on e-cigs for a week. After smoking for around 15 years…I have noticed a head ache the past couple of days, but it could be b/c I”m hitting it more at work than I do on my off days, especially since I can just go to the bathroom and puff on it. Other than that no side effects. Other than pride at finally being able to quit smoking, I’ve tried everything literally everything but chantix and hyponoisis to quit.

6. kim bowen says:

I just started the e-cig again yesterday…but i had a feww real cigs too…i am sticking to the e-cig today.Just set a timer for about 7 minutes(that’s how long it took me to smoke a real one…i too have experienced the headaches…but i’m going to get some water right now.May God be with All of us so we can quit smoking.Thank you all.

Leave A Comment...